Talking Points for Black Disabled Community
There is great service delivery disparity for Black disabled people and their families.
- What will you do about disparity in service delivery for Black disabled people and their families?
- Will you work to establish a separate review board inclusive of disabled people and family members for unfair denial of services to Black disabled people and their families?
Black disabled people have the lowest number of employment rates compared to nondisabled Black people and White disabled people.
- What will you do ensure there are specific programs to promote employment of Black disabled people?
In the Developmental Disability (DD) community overwhelming janitorial work is done by Black individuals with DD, although White family members and advocates have worked to move through policy discussion to replace janitorial work as a default.
- How will you ensure that this policy is applied to Black people with developmental disabilities?
Systemic racism is prevalent in disability politics and policy decisions.
- What will you do to dismantle systemic racism in disability policy decisions?
New Jersey has legislation that requires an annual review of services to minority disabled people and their families.
- What will you do to ensure that similar legislation is passed and applied in all states?
The Black community falls far behind in its understanding of disability and its impact of the lives of disabled people. Until there is an understanding of disability there will be discrimination of disabled people and their families.
- Will you support funding for education, by Black disabled leadership and family members in Black communities on ableism and it’s impact on Black disabled people?
Every state has developmental centers that house people with developmental disabilities. Funding was supposed to transfer from these large congregate centers to community centered living.
- What will you do to continue the work of closing developmental centers and transferring monies from developmental centers to community living?
Violence has been a long standing threat and harm to disabled people. It shows itself in police, provider agencies and medical professions.
- What will you do to bring these issues to the table of public policy decisions?
- What will you do to highlight the disproportion of violence against Black disabled people?